Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

DA drops some cases from NYC Occupy march in Sept. (AP)

NEW YORK (AP) - New York prosecutors have dropped charges against nearly two dozen people arrested in the first mass arrest of Occupy Wall Street demonstrators. But about 50 other cases are headed toward trial.

The Manhattan district attorney's office asked a judge Monday to dismiss 21 cases stemming from a Sept. 24 march to Manhattan's Union Square. Prosecutors said they couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that those individuals' conduct was illegal.

Authorities have said the demonstrators blocked traffic and refused orders to disperse.

Robert Hott is 1 of the protesters whose case was dismissed. He says he followed police instructions and didn't hear any order to leave.

About a dozen others previously took prosecutors' offer to get the charges dismissed by staying out of trouble for six months.


Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.